Sautéed Beef Tips in a Carrot Taco, with Spicy Maple Cherry glaze
This sautéed beef tips in a carrot taco recipe, paired with the rice balls appetizer, is from Meghan Schutt, Paige Schutt and Natalie Seeburger. The team prepared the recipe for the Michigan State University Extension/Isabella County Farm Bureau Teen “Chopped” Competition at the Isabella Community Soup Kitchen on November 4, 2017. The team earned the “Best Presentation” award for their creation.
- Time : 45 minutes
- 2/3 cup Water, Maple Syrup
- 4 Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar
- 4 Tbsp. Dried Cherries
- 6 Tbsp. Flour
- 3 Cups Grated Carrots
- A pinch of Salt & Pepper
- 1 Cup Grated Parmesan
- 1 package Beef Tips
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- 2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
- 2 tsp Chile pepper powder
- 2 Tbsp. Minced Garlic
- 1 Tbsp. Chopped Ginger
- ½ cup Soy Sauce
- ½ of Onion Julienned
- 1 carrot Julienned
- 2 cups Kale, lightly chopped
- ½ cup Brown Rice
- 1 Egg
- Mix in a small saucepan: water, maple syrup, balsamic vinegar and dried cherries and put on a low simmer to reduce by ¾ until it coats a spoon. Mix in Chile powder at the end for spice.
- Add flour, grated carrots, salt & pepper and grated parmesan, 1 egg and small cup of finally chopped kale into a bowl.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit & line sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Form carrot tortillas into desired size and roll thinly, and place on parchment paper and bake for 15 minutes. When done, pull from the oven and quickly set on a 1” diameter roller or a taco holder to form tacos.
- Slice beef tips into thin slices, cross cut and warm oil and butter in a pan. When pan is hot, add in garlic & ginger to flavor the oil, then add in beef tips and cook to a medium rare and pull from pan.
- After removing the beef tips, deglaze the pan with Soy Sauce and add 1 tbsp. of butter and scrape the bottom of the pan.
- Quickly toss in vegetables and ½ cup of rice and fry in the sauce for a minutes and then add the beef tips back in and give a quick toss and remove from heat.
- Insert beef & vegetables into the taco and drizzle over the maple cherry reduction and sprinkle on cheese if desired. Plate up taco holders over a fresh slice of Kale and set a slice of lime on the side. Sprinkle pepper flake and drizzle plate with rest of glaze to dress the plate.