SLBJ’s Chicken Pot Pie
This chicken pot pie recipe was developed by Sara Peltier, Lauren MacDonald, Rebecca Collins-Pfeiffer and Jenna Gates for the Michigan State University Extension/Isabella County Farm Bureau Teen “Chopped” Competition on November 2, 2016. Try it paired with their baked stewed tomatoes and crepes.
- Servings : 3-4
- Time : 45 minutes
- 4 c. water
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1-1 1/2 parsnip
- 4-5 carrots
- 1 yellow onion
- 1/4 c. orzo noodles
- 1 TBS. sour cream
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. curry powder
- 1-3 TBS. flour
- 1-3 TBS. water
- Crust: 2 1/2 c. flour
- Crust: 1/2 tsp. salt
- Crust: 2/3 c. cold butter
- Crust: 8-12 TBS. water
- Crust: Preheat oven to 400°F. Mix flour and salt. Cut in butter (pastry cutter or food processor); mixture will be coarse crumbs. Add water, 1 TBS. at a time until the mixture sticks together. Roll out on floured cutting board with floured rolling pin. Use pizza cutter or knife to make strips. Combine and roll out extra dough for more strips as needed.
- Bring water, bouillon cubes and chicken breasts to a boil.
- Chop parsnips, carrot and ¼ of the onion. Add to boiling water.
- In a separate pan, boil water for orzo. Add orzo once the water is boiling.
- Once chicken is fully cooked, remove from the broth and cut into bite size pieces. Return chicken to broth.
- Add a sour cream, salt, pepper and curry powder.
- Test vegetables to be sure they are cooked through.
- In a separate glass or bowl, combine flour (1-2 TBS) and water; enough to make the flour liquid.
- Bring the broth to a boil; add the flour and water mixture a little bit at time until the broth is the desired consistency (thickness).
- Add orzo to broth once it is cooked.
- Place broth mixture in pie plate or individual dishes. Lace pie crust strips into a lattice and cover mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until crust is completely baked.